Darrels Cafe Moto Project
"GP250R Cafe Racer Project: The motivation was simply because the direction of the motorcycle builds had shifted to a style I could grasp. I liked the challenge of blending old and new styles together, this is always challenging because everyone has an opinion." -
Darrel Schneider
"This bike started life as a CRF250R. I maintained the frame, engine, swingarm, rear shock, forks, rear master cylinder, Renthals and the throttle housing. The suspension was prepared by Race Tech, using their super single set up, triple clamps and lower radial mount fork lugs. All of these parts were hard anodized with color (black or gray). I added a Durelle Racing rear shock ride height adjuster. Pivot Works supplied all of the new bearings and seals. The engine was disassembled, cleaned, shot peened and rebuilt with all new Honda parts by JMR Performance, using one of Dan Crower's specially ground Cam's and valve springs. The carburetor was modified and rebuilt by Tokyo Mods and Embee Performance applied the piston coating to the carb. A custom fitting was made for the carb to be AN fitting compatible. The intake was custom made (fiberglass). Fontana Radiators made a radiator to match the wood one I used for mock up. They installed ORB bungs so we could run AN fittings and cool looking hose's. A custom fitting was made to make the water return line AN fitting compatible. A custom water pump cover was made to be AN fitting compatible. I was not sure about 17" or 19" wheels and tires I liked them both, I used 17". Buchanan's Sun rims, stainless spokes, aluminum nipples with Talon hubs and Michelin tires. The rims and hubs were hard anodized with color. Renthal bars were cut in two and used clip on style. The bars and throttle housing were hard anodized with color as well. Clutch controls, engine plugs and axle blocks supplied by Works Connection.
Arrow's Dual exhaust looked to fat from behind on this bike, so one muffler was mounted under the frame/engine. A custom fuel cell (tank) was made in aluminum. Peterson Fluid Systems supplied the billet ball valve and filter for the tank. Brown & Miller Racing Solutions supplied the AN fittings and hose's. The subframe was made from square aluminum tubing, this has brackets for the fuel cell, fuel tank cover, seat, rear fender, exhaust, body side panel, air cleaner and rearsets. The rearset brackets were made from steel. I used most of a set of Woodcraft rearsets, pegs and levers from a GSXR. A custom rearset bracket was made for the CRF rear master cylinder. A billet gearshifter was modified for the rearset shift linkage. I used a Brake Tech Iron front rotor blade. A custom front rotor carrier was made, along with spacers. A custom rear rotor was made to match the front. Braking supplied the front master cylinder and rear caliper.The front caliper is CBR 600 (one side). The front faring, tank cover, seat, rear fender and body side panels were all custom made with wood, foam and body filler, then refinished, molds made for the actual parts.The front and rear fenders, radiator shrouds and lower faring were made in aluminum to copy the wood, plastic and cardboard mock up parts.Less than an ounce of body filler was used on the body parts (all of them), the initial time making the plugs paid off, and the aluminum pieces look fine with some bead roller marks.The fiberglass parts were only sanded with 2000 grit and buffed, some lower pieces like the fenders were left alone, the goal was not a show bike." Darrel
Posted In: RSD

Copyright © 2016 Roland Sands Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved - Motorsport Aftermarket Group