Roland Sands Design
VIEW CART  0 ITEMS
RSD
RSD BMW Concept 90

We are proud to announce the unveiling of the BMW Concept 90 today at Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este in beautiful Lake Como, Italy. This year is the 90th anniversary of BMW Motorrad and the 40th anniversary of the R 90 S. This bike pays homage to the Daytona Orange boxer from the Seventies.

published at 24.05.2013, 18:34

BMW Concept Ninety - classic meets class

90 years of BMW Motorrad - 40 years of a BMW Motorrad design icon. To mark these anniversaries, the BMW Group will be presenting a very special new machine from 6.30 pm on May 24th: the BMW Concept Ninety, on show at the Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este 2013. In collaboration with the customer bike company "Roland Sands Design", the BMW Motorrad Design Team has created an exclusive homage to the BMW R 90 S. Roland Sands and his team have given the BMW Concept Ninety an exclusive self-assured appearance with technologically refined, top-quality custom parts, former motorcycle racer.

The original: the BMW R 90 S.
With a top speed of just under 200 km/h, the BMW R 90 S was one of the fastest serial production motorcycles of its time. It was the first time a designer had created the perfect combination of form and function in a motorcycle development process. The BMW R 90 S was the first motorcycle ever to be fitted with a front trim section as standard, giving it an unmistakable appearance. Aerodynamically optimised front and rear trim elements were soon to be seen on motorcycles by other manufacturers, too. According to Edgar Heinrich, Head of BMW Motorrad Design: "The BMW R 90 S goes back to a time when motorcyclists were regarded as social outlaws. There was something rebellious about them - they were fast, noisy and wild. It was all about pure emotion. And it remains fascinating to this day."

RSD BMW Concept 90

BMW Concept Ninety.
"The aim of the BMW Concept Ninety is to show how reduced and pure an emotional BMW motorcycle can be," explains Ola Stenegard, Head of BMW Motorrad Vehicle Design. Its basic proportions are clearly geared towards the original: the faring, fuel tank and rear section instantly reveal the bike's kinship with the BMW R 90 S. The BMW Concept Ninety also echoes the separation of the motorcycle's proportions which was typical at the time: the trim is visually distinct from the black engine and chassis sections. While halogen reflected the technological state of the art in the original machine, cutting-edge LED lighting elements give the BMW Concept Ninety its face today.

Custom parts made by Roland Sands Design.

We'd like to thank everyone who was involved in this project. It could not have been completed otherwise. With that said, here's a few behind the scene shots supplied by Sweatpants Media and shot by Taylor Rulon-Miller. Thanks guys, you killed it!

RSD BMW Concept 90
Posted In: RSD
Comment with Facebook
Comment with Roland Sands (51)
Patrick Garvin says:
5/24/2013 1:48:49 PM

That turned out bitchen. Nice work.
Darrell Schneider says:
5/24/2013 4:34:44 PM

Stunning look on a challenging platform, as always you raised the bar again.
the skipper says:
5/25/2013 11:06:55 AM

awesome bike with the spirit of a classic motorcycle and the engineering aof bmw! I love it!!
Beto Araujo says:
5/25/2013 7:26:15 PM

OK, the bike is amazing. Now what can you tell us about that helmet?
rolandadmin says:
7/10/2013 10:26:47 AM

This helmet? http://bellracing.com/helmets/vintage-series/star-classic
Ralph the German says:
5/26/2013 1:27:47 AM

Hey Roland ,it was a great idea from BMW to get you into this project.All of you,Roland Stocker,Ola,you and of course all the other which where involved,built a real stunning masterpiece.Who would have thought we can say BMW and Emotions in one sentence.lots of respect,you did a great job.greets from bavaria
Orlo says:
5/26/2013 7:55:28 AM

Impressive, again a reason to drop to knees from your garage! Well done RSD team! Looking forward to see it on the road. Regards
Cory says:
5/28/2013 1:08:24 AM

That tank is awesome, was it built from scratch?
rolandadmin says:
7/10/2013 10:21:27 AM

Yes, the aluminum tank, fairing and tail section were all hand shaped for this project.
Kevin says:
5/29/2013 9:45:02 PM

Love the bike, it is absolutely perfect! Also digging the colors on those bmw badged ronin jackets!
Kevin says:
5/29/2013 9:45:33 PM

Henry Lauenstein says:
5/31/2013 12:44:26 AM

Don't worry my lovely little R60/6, your much more petite, even after 650,350km.
Shawn says:
5/31/2013 10:26:33 AM

RSD, you did it again!!!I just picked up a junk yard r90s because it is one bike I have longed for a very long time, and seeing this just makes me want to restore pronto. Roland, you did an amazing job and hopefully BMW would consider a limited release of the bike. You made that machine better than any true BMW enthusiast would expect. Thanks and keep up the good work.
Humberto says:
6/4/2013 5:38:07 PM

When you going to do a R 1200 GS 2013. I own one since May and I love I will love to see what you can do with this beauty
Richard says:
6/5/2013 11:06:30 AM

I admire most of your work Roland but this is a shameless copy of the Ducati MH1 from a decade ago or so...
eugen says:
6/6/2013 6:01:59 AM

Best BMW ever seen. I love your work. Chopped to the basic, very very clear and straight to the heart. If I had a million, I would by this bike. I owned a Ducati 900 SS in the late 70's and your Lady is very close but of course more out of the 21 Century. Greetings from Germany
markv says:
6/7/2013 8:03:57 AM

get BMW to build it, please please please
Marc says:
6/15/2013 2:19:02 AM

Hello Roland. This bike is absolutely stunning. Is there, or should i say when, a chance to see those beautiful parts be available for the current R1200R ? Can't wait. Best regards Marc
rolandadmin says:
7/10/2013 9:04:53 AM

Possibly but not sure yet. We sure have gotten a lot of interest in them and... demand creates supply. We will see what the future brings.
Alex says:
6/19/2013 1:36:25 PM

Very nice bike, but I think this bike is asking for spoke wheels
Detlef Jene from germany says:
7/8/2013 4:47:04 AM

I`d see the bike the last days in the showroom and also on the track with you and with Valerie Thompson in Garmisch and it`s the best i ever see - and here! I saw pictures of it before but to see the real bike was awesome. You`ve did a really great job for BMW and i hope it will go in sale - it`s a must have for me! Thanks for the realization of a dream.
Rayzher says:
7/21/2013 12:50:45 AM

i know this is to much to ask. but is this bike up for sale?
rolandadmin says:
7/22/2013 12:42:04 PM

This was just a concept for BMW but if it gets enough attention they might just make a few.
De Donder Hugo says:
7/22/2013 8:27:08 AM

ik van Belgie hoe koop ik dat tof wat een Bike i ben intresse for tis motor
flat track artist Bill Bond says:
8/13/2013 5:49:20 PM

can I take it to the salt flats?
Mark S says:
8/30/2013 3:26:15 PM

Any chance that the bike will tour in the US? Would love to see it in person!
rolandadmin says:
9/4/2013 3:03:01 PM

It was actually in Sturgis last month for Michael Lichter's Cafe Racer exhibit at the Buffalo Chip. It has since shipped back to Europe with no known US tour dates. Sorry!
humberto says:
9/8/2013 12:34:03 PM

when you going to do something with the new r 1200 gs 2013
rolandadmin says:
11/13/2013 1:11:04 PM

Soon!
Frank says:
9/20/2013 1:55:55 PM

Obviously BMW is keeping this bike in their museum as a concept bike instead of putting it into production. On July 22, 2013 you said that they might just make a few. is this really going to happen?
Mickey says:
9/21/2013 11:20:55 AM

I would love to see this bike in production... as long as they don't change a thing of your concept. For me it's perfect, the only thing I would have done different is the exhaust... I love the old twin pipes on the early BMWs, would have loved to see the nice curves of blue patina coming out of the heads too.
Mickey says:
9/21/2013 11:23:50 AM

Mickey says:
9/21/2013 11:24:05 AM

Chris lee says:
9/23/2013 3:20:05 PM

Any chance to buy this bike from RSD??
rolandadmin says:
11/13/2013 10:50:05 AM

joel woolf says:
9/23/2013 6:44:54 PM

One word SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!
Mike D. says:
10/21/2013 9:55:47 PM

BMW just revealed the Nine T and I see how your ideas and inspiration has brought this bike to life. Congrats on BMW in taking such a bold step in manufacturing this bike. Will be putting a deposit on this bike and looking forward to your products to further enhance this modern art classic.
Davide Milan Italy says:
11/6/2013 2:35:03 PM

This bike is a dream!. Nice work! Il you want we can open a rsd shop in Milan ; )
abu says:
11/20/2013 3:21:44 AM

hi roland ..i saw u at bikers built off ,dont remember what year..since that i really admire your job...this your latest creation and would say..good job and well done ..its a bmw ...huhuu..congrat...
Spoon says:
11/29/2013 9:27:44 PM

I am following this closely, my hope is that the billeted parts are available once BMW releases the R nine T. I would love to have one of these sitting in my garage one day soon!
JCR says:
12/3/2013 8:42:59 PM

Very nice, congrats !!
Carlos says:
1/9/2014 12:44:57 PM

Where can we admire the Concept Ninety? Will she be on tour? Already at BMW Welt/Museum? Thank you!
Derek says:
1/13/2014 10:01:17 AM

oh Shoot!! I love it with to get on it someday:)
GG says:
2/3/2014 8:24:05 AM

Hi Guys, Are RSD parts of this or similar custom will be available for the BMW R NineT? Would be awesome, by reading the comments it seems to be a demand for it. Cheers, GG
rolandadmin says:
2/5/2014 9:42:05 AM

That would be cool, wouldn't it....
MarkJ says:
3/4/2014 8:34:51 AM

I get my R Nine T in two weeks! I'm busting to hear news of custom parts for it!
rolandadmin says:
3/6/2014 10:18:41 AM

So are we!
Kerda says:
3/27/2014 10:58:31 AM

Hi Roland,if you bring me all these parts, I buy the nine T and sell my nightster !!
Peter says:
6/27/2014 3:42:56 AM

I saw the bike in Milan. The colour is stunning. Can you tell me what it is - what the base colour is and if it has a gold flake in it? Thank you.
rolandadmin says:
7/1/2014 5:23:21 PM

Custom secret mix!
Matrix Brakes says:
7/17/2014 8:30:41 PM

Awesome. Love the color! I should ask the guys in the shop if we do light weight rotors for BMW. Sharp.
Your Name:
(Review your comment prior to posting it to the site)